Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Steve Jobs Takes Medical Leave From Apple

Apple Inc. CEO Steve Jobs has announced that he is taking a leave of absence from the company until the end of June due to health problems.  In his absence, COO Tim Cook will be taking care of the day-to-day operations of the company.  Steve released a statement to employees explaining this decision.

I am sure all of you saw my letter last week sharing something very personal with the Apple community. Unfortunately, the curiosity over my personal health continues to be a distraction not only for me and my family, but everyone else at Apple as well. In addition, during the past week I have learned that my health-related issues are more complex than I originally thought.

In order to take myself out of the limelight and focus on my health, and to allow everyone at Apple to focus on delivering extraordinary products, I have decided to take a medical leave of absence until the end of June.

You can read the entire letter here

In 2004, Steve Jobs was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He conquered the disease but over the course of 2008 his sudden weight loss was heavily discussed in the media. Prior to last week's MacWorld even in San Francisco, Steve attributed this weight loss to a hormone imbalance. Whatever the reason, hopefully he will be back to himself com July. In the meantime, there's no need to panic! Apple will be in very capable hands.

1 comment:

  1. I sure hope Steve will be back (and healthy). If he were to not "return", what a horrible loss it would be.

    I dont even want to think that way.. :(

    ReplyDelete